Changing Our Ward Together
Ward 5 Neighborhood and Revitalization Plans

Point of Contact: Deborah Crain
Newsletter: Winter 2008
Development Summary: Winter 2008

Ward 5 Neighborhoods


Arboretum is a residential neighborhood located in Northeast Washington, D.C., tucked into the corner of the U.S. National Arboretum. The tiny neighborhood is bounded by New York Avenue NE to the north, R Street NE to the south, and Bladensburg Road to the west, and the National Arboretum to the east.


Bloomingdale, a quaint community that straddles Florida Avenue, known for its quiet streets and easy accessibility. Bloomingdale presents a close proximity to Howard University, historical landmarks and a mixture of longtime residents with young professionals and their families. Located just east of LeDroit Park, Bloomingdale was one of Washington's earliest suburban developments. In the late 1800s, the land that now comprises the residential blocks of Bloomingdale was used for a variety of light industrial uses. For example, in 1889, a large flour mill was constructed at the corner of 3rd Street and Florida Avenue, NW. It was one of only two flour mills in the city at the time. In response to the growth of Washington, in the early 1900s developers and land speculators began to chart the industrial area that is now Bloomingdale for development. Leading the way, the Rhode Island Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1902 at Rhode Island Avenue and 1st Street, NW. In the year following, 11 homes along the unit block of Rhode Island Avenue, NW joined. Surrounding blocks were subsequently built by developers such as Harry Wardman and S. H. Meyers. Because home construction often necessitates school construction, the historic Gage School, located on the 2000 block of 2nd Street, NW was erected in 1904. The neighborhood of Bloomingdale lies south of Channing Street, East of 2nd Street NW, north of Florida Avenue, NW, and west of North Capitol Street, NE. It comprises D.C. zones ANC5C01-ANC5C07.


Brookland is roughly outlined by Otis Street, 9th Street NE, Rhode Island Avenue NE, and South Dakota Avenue. Between 14th and South Dakota, Brookland’s border bumps out to Taylor Street so that the community also incorporates Mount St. Sepulchre Franciscan Monastery. Brookland has a small, but thriving business corridor that caters to the neighborhood population.


Eckington is located south of the Prospect Hill and Glenwood Cemeteries, less than one mile from Howard University and one mile north of the United States Capitol. With North Capitol Street and the railroad tracks as its borders, Eckington remains a relatively isolated community.The land which became Eckington was originally the country home of Joseph Gales, Jr., owner of the National Intelligencer newspaper and the Mayor of Washington from 1827 to 1830. Gales bought the tract in 1815, and in 1830 erected a two-story house on the hilltop, about where Third and U Streets, NE intersect today. Gales named his estate Eckington after the village in England where he was born. During the Civil War, the house was used as a hospital. After the war, Eckington, commonly known as Gales Woods, was a popular picnic ground. In 1887, Eckington was bought by George Truesdell, who subdivided the property, sold lots, and built several houses. Eckington was wired for electricity in 1889, two years before electricity was installed in the White House.


This neighborhood, outside the original boundaries of Washington City, was originally part a 30-acre farmland estate, called Metropolis View. In 1863, Salmon P. Chase, then U.S. Treasury Secretary under Abraham Lincoln, purchased the estate and another 20 acres of land nearby. He built a mansion and renamed the newly expanded estate Edgewood. The mansion was located at what is now the corner of Edgewood and Fourth Streets, NE. In the early 1900s, the house belonged to the St. Vincent's Orphanage Asylum and Catholic School. The city eventually gained possession of the estate and began developing it as an urban neighborhood in the 1950s.

Fort Totten


Gateway is within the triangle formed New York Avenue NE, Bladensburg Road and South Dakota Avenue NE.

Ivy City

Ivy City is located outside the boundaries of the original L'Enfant plan for Washington, D.C. In 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad received approval to build its Washington Branch. As part of the construction, the railroad company built its last roundhouse (the current AMTRAK yard) one mile outside the city limit. The railroad then worked with land speculators to develop the tract immediately adjacent to the roundhouse as Ivy City, to serve as a suburb to house B&O employees. Ivy City officially became part of the city of Washington with the passage of the Organic Act of 1878. In 1911, the neighborhood's first school for African Americans was constructed - Alexander Crummell Elementary School. The school quickly became a symbol of civic pride in the neighborhood and a major community anchor.


Lamond Riggs is a residental neighborhood that consists of Ward 4 and Ward 5. It is bounded by Galloway Street NE to the south, Eastern Avenue to the east, South Dakota Avenue to the west, and Riggs Road to the north. It is a middle class, predominantly African-American neighborhood with tree lined streets and a friendly atmosphere.


Langdon, or Langdon Park, is a neighborhood near the U.S. National Arboretum in Northeast. Langdon is roughly bounded by New York Avenue NE to the south, Montana Avenue to the west, Bladensburg Road to the east, Rhode Island Avenue NE to the northwest, and South Dakota Avenue to the northeast. Langdon is predominantly a residential neighborhood, with a commercial/industrial strip west of the railroad tracks that run northeast/southwest through the neighborhood. A number of prominent go-go clubs are located on Bladensburg Road in Langdon. Langdon is home of the 9/11 Memorial Grove, a memorial at the intersection of 18th and Hamlin Streets NE.

Michigan Park 

Michigan Park is bounded by Gallatin Street NE, 6th Street NE, Taylor Street NE/Michigan Avenue and South Dakota Avenue.

North Michigan Park

North Michigan Park is a neighborhood in Northeast. It is bordered by Gallatin Street NE to the north, South Dakota Avenue to the west, Michigan Avenue to the south, and Eastern Avenue to the east.

Pleasant Hill

Pleasant Hill is a neighborhood in Northeast. It is bounded by Harewood Road NE, Fort Drive NE, and Taylor Street NE to the south; Hawaii Avenue NE to the north and east; and North Capitol Street NE to the west. It is convenient to Catholic University of America, the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, the Armed Forces Retirement Home, and is adjacent to 4 large hospitals.

Queens Chapel

Queens Chapel is a residential neighborhood on the northeastern edge of Washington, DC bounded by Galloway Street NE to the south, Eastern Avenue to the east, South Dakota Avenue to the west, and Riggs Road to the north. It was named for early landowner Mr. Queen.


The land that is now the Trinidad neighborhood once belonged to the family of a man who lived in Trinidad. He planned to relocate to the D.C. neighborhood, but died enroute to the states. It later belonged to a member of the Corcoran family who bequeathed it to The George Washington University. The university sold the land to the Washington Brick Machine Company. Realizing they did not need all of the land, the brickworks company began selling off parcels, and, in the late 1800s/early 1900s, the first houses in Trinidad were built.

Truxton Circle

Truxton Circle is a neighborhood of Northwest Washington DC. It is named for a traffic circle that no longer exists, meaning that the neighborhood has long been presumed nameless or lumped in as a part of Shaw, or mistakenly with Eckington, the neighborhood to the north. It has only recently reclaimed its historical identity. Truxton Circle is bordered by New Jersey Avenue to the west, Florida Avenue to the north, and New York Avenue to the South. Politically it is a part of Ward 5. The old traffic circle, named for Navy Commodore Thomas Truxtun, was constructed in approximately 1900 at the intersection of Florida Avenue and North Capitol Street. A large and ornate fountain stood in the center of the circle as a monument to Truxtun. However, the circle was a cause of a number of traffic jams and accidents, and was demolished in 1947. With its destruction, the identity of the surrounding neighborhood was obscured, residents who populated the area long after the circle was gone had no idea of its prior existence and therefore no reason to call the neighborhood Truxton Circle. It was frequently claimed as part of Eckington or Shaw, or under the dubious name of "Florida Park." Most residents, however, considered the predominantly African American neighborhood to have no name. It was only recently the name Truxton Circle returned to common usage, and there has even been some talk of rebuilding the circle itself. However, some older residents who have never known it as Truxton are ambivalent or resistant to the label. Truxton Circle is a residential neighborhood characterized by late 19th century houses and a number of important and historical schools, including Armstrong Manual Training School (where Duke Ellington received his high school diploma) and the original Dunbar High School, the first all-black public high school in the United States. A small park, Truxton Park, lies at the corner of First Street and Florida Avenue.


Woodridge, sometimes called South Central, is a residential neighborhood located on the northeastern edge of Washington, DC, bounded by Eastern Avenue on the east, Michigan Avenue to the north, South Dakota to the west, and Bladensburg Road to the south. Its central commercial strip is Rhode Island Avenue NE. It is located roughly between the neighborhood of Brookland in DC and the city of Mount Rainier, Maryland. 



Premier Community Development Corporation, Washington, DC


webmaster tools at
Visit the top SEO search engine optimization guide.
Powered by Wild Apricot. Try our all-in-one platform for easy membership management